Dengue, also known as breakbone fever, is a potentially fatal disease spread by the infected Aedes Aegypti mosquito. Although dengue cannot be spread by human contact, it is rapidly rising because of the increased breeding of the dengue mosquitoes.
How is dengue caused?
Dengue is caused by one of the four serotypes of the dengue viruses. These viruses are carried by the infected female Aedes Aegypti. These mosquitoes breed in warm temperatures near stagnant water and are most active right after sunrise and few hours before sunset. In rare cases, dengue virus can also be spread through organ transplants, blood transfusions and during pregnancy. Even if you have been infected by dengue once, it is possible to be infected again.
What is the incubation period for dengue fever?
The incubation period for dengue is 3-15 days, after which the signs and symptoms of the fever start appearing.
What are the symptoms of dengue?
These are the most common symptoms of dengue, which show up once the incubation period is over.
– Sudden, high fever (as high as 41 degrees Celsius).
– Severe headaches and pain behind the eyes.
– Severe joint, muscle and abdominal pain paired with extreme fatigue and tiredness.
– Periods of nausea and continuous vomiting.
– Skin rashes, easy bruising, and active bleeding through gums, nose.
– A massive drop in platelet count weakening the immune system.
You can read more about the symptoms observed in Dengue here.
How can dengue be treated?
There is no cure for dengue. There is one vaccination available called Dengvaxia but it is not available in India. The only way to treat dengue fever is to take good care of yourself. Here are some important steps in the treatment of dengue.
– Rebuild your immune system with proper healthy diet and hydration.
– Appropriate medication for relieving the muscle and joint pain.
– Bringing the platelet count back to normal for better immunity. Extract from Papaya leaves works wonders for this. Read more about the benefits of papaya leaves here.
– Taking complete and uninterrupted rest in a stress-free environment.
What are some dengue prevention tips?
Prevention is always better than cure. Make sure you’re keeping dengue away from your family and yourself by following these simple steps:
– Reduce mosquito habitat in and around your house. This will prevent the mosquitoes from breeding.
– Dress protectively; cover your arms and legs while going outdoors during active mosquito times – after dawn and before dusk.
– Eat well and hydrate. Consume proteins and juices to keep your body strong enough to combat the virus.
– Use mosquito repellents to protect yourself from mosquitoes at all times.
For outdoor mosquito-protection, apply just 4 dots of the Goodknight Fabric Roll-On for 8-hour round protection. While indoors, switch on the 2x power of Goodknight Activ+ System, especially during the day to keep your house free of mosquitoes.
Be alert and aware at all times. Keep sufficient knowledge about the fever and its symptoms. Learn about more dengue prevention tips here.