In today’s world, there are no longer any clear-cut gender-specific roles. Most fathers and mothers work instead of staying home. But parents always feel a little uneasy when leaving their kid behind to go to work. For mothers who have just delivered and have not been away from their children for extended periods, this can be especially daunting. It’s quite natural to feel upset but it has to be dealt with.
Here are some tips new mothers can follow to ensure they are tension-free when away from their children:
1. Employ trustworthy care: The easiest way to get rid of the tension you feel when leaving your children behind is to find someone you can depend on to care for them. Hiring a trained professional (say, a trusted babysitter or nanny) is one way to go about it. Another is to get your parents to chip in. Not only do they have vast experience in raising babies, they also have a vested interest in keeping their grandchildren safe and healthy.
2. Call occasionally: Make it a habit to call your child — but not too often – when you are separated from each other. This will serve as a calming moment for you (and your child) while allowing you to get an update on their health and behavior.
3. Be professional: In this digital age, if anything goes wrong with your child you will be intimated almost as soon as it happens. But this doesn’t mean you have to spend each moment expecting the worst! At work, busy yourself with what you are expected to do. There is no better way to remain tension-free than to be engaged in the demands of one’s workplace.
4. Practice meditation: This is not only useful for dealing with tension arising due to your separation from your child; it is also useful in dealing with anxiety in general. Meditating for just half an hour a day results in noticeably lower stress and anxiety levels. This is a necessity for mothers who are in high-stress jobs.
5. Make your together time count: When you are with your child, savor each moment and ensure that you bond with each other. Speak to your child to make them realize why you must leave them every day. Promise you’ll come back to them — and always, always say goodbye before leaving.
6. Ensure their safety: The main reason for separation anxiety is that you’re worried about the kid’s health and safety. Ensure they have proper nutrition and water while you are away, and leave medicines easily accessible in case of emergencies.
In India, mosquitoes can also be a constant source of trouble. They can transmit deadly diseases such as Malaria, Dengue, and Chikungunya — all it takes is one bite. Ensure the safety of your child by using Goodknight Gold Flash System in the house while you are away. Goodknight Patches are also a good solution and both are 100% baby-safe. Both will keep your child’s environment free of mosquitoes for around eight hours and give you much-needed peace of mind.
It’s not easy leaving your kids alone, whatever the reason. But when it becomes necessary, these simple tips should help you ease any anxiety you feel.