Chikungunya is a disease transmitted through the bite of an Aedes mosquito and is mostly found in Asia and Africa. It shares most of its symptoms with dengue and is sometimes misdiagnosed as dengue in areas where both the diseases are common.
The common symptoms of chikungunya fever include fever, muscle pain, rashes, headache and joint pain. These symptoms usually show up 3 to 7 days after being infected. Joint pain may last for a few days or weeks, or even for a few months. Depending on how long the pain lasts, the disease can be classified as an acute or chronic disease.
There are no vaccines developed for this type of disease, and the best way to stop it is to prevent the mosquito from breeding in nearby areas or to avoid its bite.
Here are some simple ways to prevent chikungunya fever:
1. Use high-quality mosquito repellents to avoid mosquito bites, preferably Goodknight mosquito repellents which are an efficient way to stay safe from mosquitoes.
2. Don’t leave open water spaces in and around your house since the Aedes mosquito breeds in dark and enclosed spaces. Consider covering overhead tanks or even bathtubs and flower pots where water may stagnate.
3. You can protect yourself against mosquito bites by wearing protective clothing, such as long pants and long-sleeved shirts. You should also ensure that the material is thick enough to prevent the mosquitoes from penetrating the cloth. Below are a few clothing tips to keep in mind:
4. Place insect repellents such as mosquito coils from Goodknight at strategic places around the house.
5. Use mosquito nets while sleeping as hanging mosquito nets around your bed will prevent you from getting bitten while you sleep.
6. If you are already showing chikungunya fever symptoms, avoiding getting bitten is still essential because the mosquito will transmit the disease from you (infected person) to another non-infected person.
Note that most infection happens outside the house and hence mosquito control is the most effective way to prevent Chikungunya outbreak. And the simplest way to stay protected from mosquitoes outdoors is applying just 4 dots of Goodknight Fabric Roll-On on your clothes for up to 8 hours of mosquito free time. Made from citronella and eucalyptus oil, it is 100% natural and paediatrician certified making it completely safe to use.
While indoors, remember to switch on the 2x power of Goodknight Gold Flash to prevent mosquito breeding and keep them away, ensuring complete protection.